25 October 2010

HON. FRANCISCO ALVAREZ

HON. FRANCISCO ALVAREZ


Born on June 13, 1852 in Caramoan town, province of Ambos Camarines. Received a particular teacher primary instruction, and CoUncil Seminary of Nueva Caceres in the second province teaching under the direction of Priests of the Congregation of St.Vincent de Paul. 

Transfer to the University of Sto.Tomas in Manila, there honed their studies, including the law that ended the year 1876. He was assistant clerk of the court instance of the then Camarines Sur province, now Ambos Camarines and local councilor First City Council but due to liberal ideas, was strongly persecution by certain key elements in the aforementioned province.

The year 1896, during events policies developed in the country, was deported to Fernando Po (Africa) by order of the Spanish Government staying on that island until after the Peace of Biak-na-bato. He was a member of the Provincial Government Ambos Camarines in charge Minister of Justice under the regime Filipino, being Deputy Director of weekly La Union which is then edited in the capital of Nueva Caceres the province.

At the entrance of the Americans, work actively for its pacification, founding the effective La Paz newspaper directed to the1902. The year 1903 is revalidated attorney of the Supreme Court of the islands and leave their profession with general applause in his province and of Albay, where the popular vote the third district of the first will raised to the seats in the first Philippine Assembly as a Nacionalista Party.

20 October 2010

HON. THOMAS ALMONTE


HON. THOMAS ALMONTE: 

Born on December 29, 1899 in San Antonio, Albay province. Received his early education from his mother herself, and at the age of 10 years study, the first years of Latin in the Seminario Conciliar de Nueva Caceres, until the year 1885, what has happened to further their studies at the University o...f Sto. Tomas, pursue a career in law, having finished his career in 1893. 

Practiced law in the province of Albay, and not agreeing, for political reasons, to continue this profession during the Spanish Government, was devoted to agriculture until the revolution came and was appointed Minister of Justice in the province of Albay.

In the elections of July 1907, was proclaimed by his friends to MP for the first district that province of Albay, and so was elected unanimously as high as currently play in the first Philippine Assembly of Philippine Islands.

People awaiting the landing of Secretary Taft. Sorsogon, August 26, 1905

People awaiting the landing of Secretary Taft.

Sorsogon, August 26, 1905

Kids wandering at Ruins of Daraga Church and Distant Mayon, Southern Luzon, Philippine Islands.

Kids wandering at Ruins of Daraga Church and Distant Mayon, 

Southern Luzon, Philippine Islands.

Sts. Peter & Paul Parish, Sorsogon; Prefab in Germany in 16th Century, built in 1628.

Sts. Peter & Paul Parish, Sorsogon; Prefab in Germany in 16th Century, built in 1628.

Interior of a house in Bikol, 1886. by French artist Dosso.

Interior of a house in Bikol, 1886. by French artist Dosso.

Old map, Province of Albay dated back 1886.

Old map, Province of Albay dated back 1886.

13 October 2010

Filipino family and American officers, Sorsogon, 1901

Filipino family and American officers, Sorsogon, 1901

On the Road between Legaspi and Albay, 1905

On the Road between Legaspi and Albay, 1905

Carangalan Visita, Camarines Norte, Fundado -1785, Photo taken 1966

Carangalan Visita, Camarines Norte, Fundado -1785, Photo taken 1966

The Fourth Battalion drills with Mt. Mayon in the background, Albay, early 1900s.

The Fourth Battalion drills with Mt. Mayon in the background,

Albay, early 1900s.

Guerrillas with gun, Philippine-Japan war; Masbate, 1945

Guerrillas with gun, Philippine-Japan war; Masbate, 1945

Mayon Volcano, Photograph by American Geographical team; 1928

Mayon Volcano, Photograph by American Geographical team; 1928

7 October 2010

4 October 2010

NATIVE TEACHER, BACON SORSOGON 1901

Native teacher, Bacon Sorsogon; American Colonial Period 1901

THE OLD WAY OF GOING AROUND IN PHILIPPINE ISLANDS

One way of going around in the Philippines; Mayon in the background. Island of Luzon, Philippine Island; 1940

3 October 2010

27 September 2010

26 September 2010

CABAYONG TABLA: BUHAY NI DON PRINCIPE DON JUAN ASIN SI PRINCESSA DONA MARIA


1
Nagtao nin galang sa saindo gabos
sa magña madunong o aki pang pospos
acong minalagda historiang masayod
sa sacong pag-iisip togotan man logod.

An magña sacayan can panahon una
may apat na bitis iyong naghihila
gñonian magña tugang sato nan nakita
igua na nin pacpac naglalayog na makina.

Dai man nagsala can enot na aldao
an hula sa sato nin magña magurang
kitang magña aki maheling ta gñonian
sari-sari sana magña gñagñalasan.

Can magña panahon olay ponograpo
asin pa an iba gñaran na de cuno
gñonian man manangad nagpaca-totoo
sato nang nakita an gñaran na radio

Igua na nin auto na nagdadalagan
magña telepono asin cine dian
vapor eroplano daing pagdarang-gan
dian sa tinampo maghay paglunadan
2
Idtong magña hula totoo mananggad
dai suminala sa banal na surat
na con domunong na an liualang liuat
magña sari-sari dian magluluas.

Bayaan co mona testong iniho
na mapapadapit cainihong mundo
an sarong historia an isosonod co
na Cabayong Tabla an isosonod co.

Gñonian poponan co an sarong historia
na gñinagñaranan na Cabayong Tabla
agua man nin cuerdas na orog caogma
na agui sa daga asin itaas pa.

Oh Dios na halangcao may capangyarihan
acong ovejas mo saimong tabagñan
na macapaglagda o maca pag saysay
na sarong historia na orog carahay.

Ta ica an Virgen na orog caogma
itaas nin lagñit sarong emperadora
an sacong pag-iisip dagdagan mo Ina
na dai cumolang an sacong historia.

Magña Evangelistang apat iyong cagsurat
digdi sa kinaban iyong nagtalastas
iyong pag sonodon na pigpapahayag
si-iisay man digdi mundong maliuanag.

Hagad co saindo na aco tabagñan
an sacuyang isip asin boot na man
na macapaglagda sa saindo gñonian
nin sacuyang dila na macapag saysay.

Sa catiriponan gñaran auditorio
selinciong cadikit an hinahagad co
hinanioga tabi an sasabihon co
na sarong historia gñonian sa saindo.

Can magña panahon nin tiempong haloy na
digdi sa kinaban can nabubuhay pa
ining sarong Hade na si Don Mendoza
iyong naghahade sa Reinong Valencia.

Iguang sarong aki na pinacamahal
si Don Juan baga iyo an pagñaran
marhay an ugale sa kiisay pa man
tolos mina cuyog pag sogo nin gurang.

Asu sarong aldao an oras malipot
ining si Don Juan saiyang inapod
dai man nahaloy sia dominuloc
an boot nin ama mag agom na logod.


MOROS-MOROS - DRAMA AND BALLET ALBAY THEATRE


Moros -Moros, Drama and Ballet in Albay Theatre; 1886

24 September 2010

AGUI-AGUI NI DONA FLOSERFIDA ASIN NI DON JUAN TIÑOSO


1
Halangcao na Virgen Abogada Nuestra

dating maugayon na parasorog sia
tabangan mo gñani halipot cong ciencia
caining ioosip na sarong novela

Pinaglalaom co an pagcaherac mo
Virgen na nagñidam sa Verbo Divino
tagñaning manoltol an isusurat co
na pakinabagñan nin capua tauo.

Cun caya po gñani o magña tugang co
aco minahagad dikit na selencio
paghinaniog gñani camahalan nindo
can sarong bareta na sasabihon co

Duman sa ciudad sa Reinong Ungria
bantog na Don Diego can nabubuhay pa
haloyon nang aldao na nabalo sia
asin iguang aqui apat na princesa.

An matua gñani gñaran Dña Juana
icadua naman ining Dña Laura
inihong icatolo an gñaran Flora
asin an icaapat Dña Floserfida.

Nagpaorog orog cagayonan ninda
siring sa bitoon o sarong cometa
cun caya pa gñani sinda an daraga
papagñaninohan paghilgñon nin mata

2
Orog pa sainda ining icaapat
ining Floserfidang dai nin casugad
an cahalimbawa idtong sarong burac
na sa Jarden gñani sia minabucad

Balakid na gayo an nagñagtutuyo
Hade man Principe taga ibang Reino
Duque, COnde, Marques magña Caballero
parating nasakat sa real Palacio

Tara ini sinda lihisan co gñona
iyo cong sabihon hade sa Valencia
an gñaran si Artus daculang monarea
Dña Blanca naman iyo an esposa

Iguang sarong aking principeng hagbayon
Don Juan Tiñoso, gñaran manoyoon
dai nin cabarang lalaking magayon
mabagsic, malicsi orog pa sa rigon

Aki siang maboot iguang cabanalan
pagñaco sa Dios Hadeng calagñitan
asin an saro pa iguang cabagsican
patin may devocion sa Virgen na Mahal

tara an nangyari cadtong sarong aldao
lipogñao dumatong sa Principeng mahal
huminilig sia ta nagpuropasiar
caidtong plaza caiyan cahadean
Tolos pagcatogñod duman cadtong fuerta
Principe lominaog sa carcel nagdagos na
an mauot nin puso hihilgñon nia
an gabos na priso, vivisitahon pa

Digdi nia nadagñog idtong panambitan
an magña pagtagñis macaporopogñao
nin sarong Giganteng pinagdudusahan
sarong bartolina an namomogtacan

Na an pag-agagha an olay iniho
o principe gñaya na cagurangnan co
magdalita Señor na hinaniogon mo
acong nagtatagñis sarong pobreng preso.

A STREET SCENE IN ALABAY



Albay is the principal sugar district of Luzon. Notice how native houses are set upon bamboo poles, high from the ground; the entrance is effected by means of ladders reaching to the floors. At night the ladder is pulled up and the native feels safe from intrusion. The bamboo around the palm leaf and bark are about all the material the Filipino needs to build his house.

23 September 2010

HISTORIA CAN VIDA NIN SIETE INFANTES NA MAGNA AQUI NI BUSTO DE LARA - PRIMERA PARTE


1

Caidtong panahon Españang banuaan
may dua catauo magtugang na mahal
si Rubio Velasquez sa lalaking gñaran
asin Doña Sancha an babae naman.

Idtong Doña Sancha napagñagom sia
can aki ni Señor Gonzalo de Lara
an apod can gñaran si Busto de Lara
nagñaki nin pito nagadan an ina.

Dorogñan, pig-aki an pitong lalaki
idtong magcarambal an sa libro sabi
asin ta paradis an gayon na labi
cayacon apodon ay Siete Infante.

Idtong magturogang Infantes de Lara
pararehong cosog, caisogan ninda
nabaretanghayag na catacataca
pinagcatacutan bilog na Morisma

Si Rubio Velasquez Villarin na señor
sa pitong sobrino tunay na amaon
napacasal gñani sa sarong magayon
na si Doña Lambra gñaran con apodon.

Sabihon pa baga an ogmang totoo
pagcasal sainda can aldao na idto
ogmang gayagaya kinamtan na gayo
magña panaohon grandes maguinoo.

2

Tara sa pagcacan duman sa lamesa
an novia nagtaram na si Doña Lambra
tadao nagtucao man Infantes de Lara
magña akion pa makiharampang na.

An de Larang gñohod aking icapito
iyong sominimbag gñaran si Gonzalo
lamesa nin Hade minatucao aco
gurano pa baga lamesang iniho.

Agom ca pa sana ni Señor Villarin
baco pa man Reina, marhay ca na saguin
dimo cami sucat sopogon nin siring
sa dacul na tauo matang naghihiling.

Sa angot ni lambra sa ki Don Gonzalo
pinalagan tolos nin dugo an vaso
olay sa oripon lacao ulaan mo
an gubing sa hauac Gonzalong letrado.

ta ugaleng dati can enot na aldao
bububuan dugo an na aangotan
tanda gñaning sayod can saiyang buhay
na iyong mapatod canayon madamay.

Nagsonod man tolos oripon na hayag
gubing ni Gonzalo sa dugo tinogmac
saca dumalagan an tulin di hamac
na sa cagurangnan dumoloc nangad.

Angot si Gonzalo dai nin casama
oripon linamag, lapnot an espada
an guinibo lalang nin Señorang Lambra
tolos sinocloban can saiyang saya.

Sa lugar man sana can saiyang tinabon
guinadan man tolos nagtagong oripon
dagñan paghiling co sa sacong amaon
sa ining Don Rubio damay sa canayon.

Sa bagay na idto sabihon pa baga
pagtagñis sa agom caidtong si Lambra
sa saimong sobrino guinibong venganza
icagagadan co na daing pagsala.

Con di mo bogtacannin bolong na tapal
sa saimong sobrino na capagpahasan
maghohogot acong rogaring magadan,
di magñagñanogon sa capot con buhay.

An simbag nin Conde sa agom na ragña
baga man aram co na icang may sala
pagcamoot simo orog sa sainda
ama nia, aki iyong magdudusa.

22 September 2010

THE STRANGE WAGON OF ALBAY

The strange wagon of Albay.
The eighty-odd different tribes who inhabit the Pihilippines have varying dialects, manners and customs. The peculiar house-roofed wagon, shown in the above illustration, are found in only one locality.

VOLCANO MAYON IN THE HEMP-PRODUCING DISTRICT OF LUZON

Mayon Volcano

1899 : This is said to be the most beautiful volcano in the world. It is 8,233 feet high, its shape is a perfect cone and its crest is always fiery. It has indulged in several destructive eruptions. In 1814 many houses were destroyed and 2,500 people were killed... and wounded. At its base are famous hot springs of great medicinal virtue.

17 September 2010

HISTORY OF OUR LADY OF PEÑAFRANCIA


About thousands of devotees who come from different parts of the Bicol Region and the country to attend the annual pintakasi, the origin of the Holy Image not altogether known. It is a mystery to a great many especially the youth.

Many believe that the Holy Image its origin in a pineapple plant which since time immemorial grew abundantly in Francia, the place where the Sanctuary in her honor stands today. There is even a painting, purposely for commercial sale of the Holy Image, representing the Blessed Virgin as coming out of a pineapple fruit. The native word for pineapple is “piña”. Peña de Francia sounds very much like Piña de Francia hence many believe that the Blessed Virgin must have really come from the pineapple fruit of France.

Peña de Francia, literally, is Rocky hill of France, where the Image of Our lady of Peñafrancia is believed to have been discovered by a hermit named Simon Vela.
The discovery of the Holy Image is a wonderful story of providence whose retelling will never fail to evoke a sense of wonderment and mystery in the hearts and minds of believers and cynics alike.

On September 4, 1401, in the city of Paris, capital of France, a child was born to pious and religious parents, Rolan and Barbara. He was christened Simon.

They were quite well off; their property was more than sufficient to maintain a family of four. Early in youth, however, Simon despised wealth although his parents could well afford his wishes. He was rather of a religious turn of mind and was wont to kneel before the altar of the household shrine to pray. He was no ordinary boy who, instead of taking part in boyish games and pranks, found delight in things spiritual. Nothing the religious bent of their child, the parents sent him to school at age of ten to study grammar and, alter, philosophy to prepare him for the priesthood. Not being bright, however, he was not able to finish his studies and was not ordained therefore to the priesthood. When he was old enough, his parents advised him to marry, but marriage offered no allurement to him as he made a vow to the Holy Virgin to devote his life to works of piety.

When his parents and his only sister died, Simon inherited all their property. To avoid trouble which he thought might ensue from his possession of such wealth, he sold his patrimony and donated the proceeds to the church, the poor and the destitute, and to charitable institutions. He then applied for a position as chamber boy in a convent of Franciscan church in Paris.

Simon frequented the church and would spend hours in prayer before the altar of the Virgin Mary. Many times, in his deep meditation, he would ask the Holy Virgin to inspire him what he might do to please her. Once, while he was absorbed in the spiritual contemplation of the beauty of the Holy Mother, he lost consciousness. His prayer then found its answer for he heard a clear voice that tried to rouse him from slumber: “Simon, wake up; be on the watch…. From now on your name will be Simon Vela. Go to Peña de Francia west of his country, and there you will find the shrine of the Blessed Virgin Mary.”

On the morning of the next day, Simon confessed what he had heard the night before to Father Ortuño, guardia of the convent. The wise father advised him not to divulge the secret to anyone for the priest feared that it might have been the voice of the temptation or the effervescence of a fevered mind. Apparently, Father Ortuño learned of Simon Vela’s losing consciousness, and may have thought that the voice and the message were but vapid figments of the imagination.

Several days after, Simon was praying as usual before the altar of the Holy Virgin, when he heard again the voice saying: “Simon, go to Peña de Francia and there you will find what you have been longing to see.” The next day he asked for the blessing of Father Ortuño and set out to search for the place called Peña de Francia.

For five (5) years Simon Vela traveled far and wide among caves, hills and mountains, in search of Peña de Francia but he could not find the place. He wanted to give up the search, and was in fact already on his way back to Paris, when one night he heard the same voice once more saying: “Simon, do not give up the search; do not give up what you have begun. Persevere and your labors will be recomposed.” This suddenly buoyed up his spirits and so he resumed his search the next day.

Simon went to the Church of Santiago de Galicia. And while he was passing the market place of Salamanca, he saw to men quarreling. One was seriously wounded and fell at Simon’s side. The offender was caught by the crowd who milled around them and he brazenly remarked: “Had I killed my enemy, I would have escaped to Peña de Francia where no one, not even the king, could find me.” Simon was overjoyed when he heard this for now he knew that such a place did actually exist.

Several hours afterwards he resumed his way to the church of San Martin. On his way he met a man selling charcoal. Simon asked the man where he came from a place called Peña de Francia. This was the second time that Simon heard the name of the place mentioned. He then begged the man to guide him to the place called Peña de Francia but for some reason the latter refused to do so.

Simon traced the road through which he thought the man has passed. He then reached a villa called San Martin de Castañar on May 14, 1434. He went to church and after the mass a man to kindly indicate where Peña de Francia was. The man took Simon Vela to a place some distance from the church and pointed to him a hill in the far distance saying that the hill was the Peña de Francia he was looking for. Simon was very grateful and thanked God for having found the man who showed him the place of his dream.

Simon then set out for the place indicated and, after a long weary journey, came to a steep rocky hill. By this time his supply of provision had already been depleted and he was beginning to feel the pangs of hunger. The climb over the hill had considerably weakened him but he lost no heart for he knew deep within him that God had not forsaken him to a fruitless and useless search. And indeed how right he was for on the road otherwise abandoned he found a packet containing a loaf of bread and piece of meat. This relieved him so much until night overtook him and he sought shelter in a cave. Inside he prayed for guidance and soon he was lost in deep slumber.

Early in the morning of the next day, Simon began the search for the shrine in every cave where he had slept the night before. He felt distressed and discouraged for his seemed as distant as it was when he started. He knelt and prayed for strange and courage. And soon he heard the same voice he had heard before sounding clearly through the cave: “Simon, be awake: do not sleep.”

Simon continued the search with more zeal in the morning of the next day. At a distance on a rocky hill, he saw a glaring and dazzling light filling the place with its brilliance. Trembling with joy, he approached it and there he found the Virgin Mary with the Child Jesus in her arms sittings on a golden throne. He Knelt before her and prayed with all the fervor of his soul. Overflowing with ineffable joy he said: “Oh, Lady, the dream of my soul, the inspiration of men and women! My labors are now ended. Many years have I traveled far and wide to seek you and to drink in the beauty of your eyes! Do not forsake me: be my protection.”

In sympathy for Simon, the Lady answered: “Simon, rejoice! Your constancy will be rewarded. Your dream will be realized. Your labors are now ended. Take heed and keep in your heart what I wish you to do. Dig in this spot and take what you can see and place it on the summit of this rocky hill. Build on this hill a beautiful dwelling. You are to begin it and others will come to finish it.. This must come to pass as it has been the wish of my child.” Then the Lady suddenly disappeared and Simon was left standing alone and rooted in the spot with wonder and awe.

On the morning of May, 1434, on the spot where the apparition of the Holy Virgin disappeared, Simon began the work of digging and excavating. He, however, heard the same voice again saying: “Simon, do not attempt to undertake that big task alone. Undertake it in the presence and with the help of two, three, or more persons.” Evidently this was to avert any doubt or suspicion from people as to a veracity of the miracle and the credibility of Simon. So Simon went to San Martin de Castañar, a nearby town from the spot, and asked five men to help him. They were Antonio Sanchez, the parish scribe of the place

These men thought that they were digging for hidden treasure but they were informed that they were going to dig for the objects worthier than world goods their hearts could cherish. They dug and dug, clearly following directions from divine inspiration, and, finally, on May 19,1434, after removing a huge stone, they found imbedded among the rocks, the most coveted image of the Holy Virgin with the Child in her arms.

Right then and there, all these men received special graces from the Lady. Simon Vela’s wound in the wound in the head was instantly cured; Pascual Sanchez’ defect in the eye disappeared; Juan Fernandez was relieved of a stomach trouble that has been nagging him for ten years; Antonio Fernandez who deaf began to hear; and, finally, Benito Sanchez’ finger which was defective from birth, recovered its normal stage. The official document of these miracles and this discovery, duly signed by those present and the Notary Public of the place, is reserved in the archives of San Martin de Castañar to serve as eloquent, if mute, witness to the past, present, and future generations of the veracity of this wonder

Contrary to what its name seems to indicate and the claim of some writers, therefore, the Peñafrancia devotion is not of French origin. It started in the place where the holy image was discovered and that is on the slopes of Sierra de Francia, a mountain range situated between Spain’s two famous provinces: Salamanca and Caceres.

It is a noteworthy coincidence that while the primitive image was found near Caceres in Spain, its most venerated reproduction has come to stay in the Archdiocese of Caceres.Which brings us to the story equally touching and wonderful as the story of the original image found in Caceres, Spain of the Virgin of Peñafrancia venerated in the Archdiocese of Caceres in a shrine located in a place locally named Francia.

Way back in the seventeenth century, a Spanish family came to the Philippines and settled in the port of Cavite. They were from San Martin de Castañar. They had a son named Miguel de Cobarrubias.

Miguel grew up under the influence of the Dominican Fathers of the University of Santo Tomas in Manila where he was an intern student in that venerable institution. He studied grammar, philosophy, and theology in preparation for the priesthood. He had with him an image of Our Lady of Peña de Francia and he had been since youth an ardent devotee of this miraculous image.

While he was a student in the university, he was a victim of frequent illness. In some cases he suffered from serious diseases. He used to complain of unexplained pains which often paralyzed his normal movements.Fortunately for him. However, he had this holy image to whom he would have recourse in moments of great pain, anguish, and adversity. He recalled that by putting the image on the part of his body that ailed him most, he would recover from his illness.

This image was actually found on the cover of a book on the history of the Blessed Virgin of Peñafrancia and Miguel de Cobarrubias carried this book with him all around and even in his sleep. Sometimes relief from his illness would be delayed but Miguel, the fruitful devotee of the Lady, never lost heart for he believed that the Blessed Mother, ever solicitous and maternal, purposely delayed the cure to make him repent his sins better.

So many miracles were wrought upon the holy person of Miguel de Cabarrubias but he was always wont to exclaim: “all I can say is that I am the miracle of her miracles because I firmly believe that on many occasions, I owe my life to her.”

In gratitude for the many blessings he had received from the Virgin of Peñafrancia, Miguel de Cabarrubias vowed that, when he shall be in a financial position he would erect a stone church on the bank of the Pasig River in Manila in honor of the Blessed Virgin. He looked for a sculptor to make a replica of the image of Our Lady of Peña de Francia but it took him time before he was able to find one.

Meanwhile, after his studies in theologate, Bishop Andres Gonzales of then Diocese of Nueva of Caceres, ordered Miguel to proceed to Naga City to be ordained priest. He was later given a small parochial church, and six months afterwards, was made parish priest of the Cathedral Church and, subsequently, made the Provisor and Vicar-General of the bishopric of Nueva Caceres which, at that time, covered the entire Bicol Region in its ecclesiastical jurisdiction.

It is recalled that during his trip to Nueva Caceres, a very strong and furious typhoon developed that the was riding was almost on the brink of sinking. Everybody thought that would be their fateful end. Miguel, however, was confident that he was called to a further mission and so he invoked the help of his Patroness Virgin of Peñafrancia and, thanks to his prayer and devotion, the storm subsided and everybody reached the place safe and sound.

Many other miracles were experienced by Miguel de Cabarrubias through the intercession of the Virgin of Peñafrancia and all of these were documented in his letters of 1710, 1711, and 1717 which he sent to the Chaplain of Peñafrancia of San Martin de Castañar.

Having been given a ranking position in the diocese, Father Miguel knew that his stay in this place would be longer and he realized that it would render him incapable of fulfilling his vow in the place where he originally intended to build the stone church. He therefore asked permission from his superiors to build the promised church in Nueva Caceres. The permission was granted but the first difficulty was the location on which the church would be constructed. The solution to this problem proved to be an incident drawn by the hands of providence.

It is said that the cimmarones from the base of Mount Isarog came to see Father Miguel one day and begged him to build the church or ermita on a site which would be reached in less than thirty minutes from the poblacion. Accordingly the cimmarones who have been Christianized much earlier by the Francisca missionaries, Wanted a church where they could hear mass and receive the sacraments. This made Father Miguel very happy because it opened the way to the fulfillment of his vow.

Father Miguel then promptly had a chapel made of straw and other local materials erected in the site indicated by the cimmarones. This must have been around 1710. In addition, Father Miguel asked a local sculptor to carve a statue of the Virgin Mary patterned after the picture of Our Lady of Peñafrancia who has been very instrumental in the many miracles wrought upon the person of the Father Miguel. The image was made from a santol tree.

As a practice in those times, to serve as paint and wood preservative, the blood was used to color the statue. So a dog was caught, its feet body of the dog was afterwards thrown into the river nearby. Father Miguel, at this instant, remarked: “The Virgin will work her first miracle in Caceres. She will bring back to life that innocent animal that gave blood for her.” Upon hearing his words, those who ere around laughed sarcastically. To their surprise, however, the dog began to swim and upon reaching the bank fast to the house of his master. This miracle was also witnessed by some Dominican Fathers who were then vacationing as guests of Bishop Gonzales.

The news of this miracle spread like a prairie fire. It went from mouth to mouth and from town to town. People from all places and all walks of life, suffering from various ailments, mishaps, pains ad other misfortunes both spiritual and physical, began imploring her powerful intercession. And Our Lady of Peña de Francia did not disappoint them but only because they had put so much faith on her. In no time she was proclaimed as the foremost and miraculous Patroness of Bicolandia.

The official coronation of Our lady of Peñafrancia our Patroness of Bicolandia took place on September 2, 1924, offiaciated by the Rt. Rev. Msgr. Guillermo their Apostolic to the Delegate. The image therefore of Our lady of Peñafrancia enshrined in her sanctuary in Calle Balatas is about 275 years old. It is an antique statue that has even become the object of desire for many an antique collector. On the morning of August 15, 1981, this miraculous image was stolen from her shrine at the Peñafrancia Church. The entire region was shocked by this news and every devotee of Our Ina could not believe that such a dastardly and sacrilegious act could be perpetuated. Immediately a network for the massive search of the image was military and civilians alike. In the course of following leads to the theft, a policeman was killed and a police lieutenant was wounded when the jeepney they were riding in were ambused by heavily armed men somewhere in Bolo Sur, Sipocot, Camarines Sur.

It seemed that the search would be futile altogether and people almost resigned to the sorry fate of having lost a most beloved image. Most of the leads proved a haux. Meanwhile the approaching feast of Our Lady of Peñafrancia necessitated an image to be borne during the translation and the colorful fluvial procession. One was made at the instant of church authorities and another image was donated by the First Lady.

A little over a year later, the region was shocked, with equal unbelief, with the news that the image has been returned to Rt. Rev. Msgr. Florencio Yllana, P.A.,Liaison Officer of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines and former Rector of the Shrine of Our Lady of Peñafrancia here in Naga City. On September 8, 1982, Feast of the Nativity of Our Lady, the motorcade from Manila bearing the Image arrived in Naga City at the height of typhoon Ruping. The inclement weather did not deter thousands of devotees who braved the raging winds and the devastating floods to welcome the image of Our beloved Ina. At 10:00 in the evening of the same day, the image was safely enshrined at the Metropolitan Cathedral where a pontifical concelebrated mass offered in thanksgiving for the return and safe arrival of the image.

The image is now enshrined at the Basilica Minore at Calle Balatas in the City of Naga. She has returned to her flock and her people have gratefully built her a home worthy of her dignity, honor, and maternal position.

11 September 2010

PENAFRANCIA TERCENTENARY COMMEMORATIVE STAMPS



The Philippine Postal rporation is coming up with the 300 Years of Devotion to Our Lady of Peñafrancia stamps which will be issued on September 8, 2010. It is classified as a “Commemorative” kind of issue with a denomination of P 7.00 and quantity of 160,000 pieces.

One of the many Catholic traditions is the Marian devotion. We, the Filipinos, especially the Bicolanos, have that extraordinary, exceptional, and devoted love for Mother Mary — the Mother of Jesus and our Mother, too. We believe that she will intercede for us and will lift our prayers up to God. Thus, there is strong belief and unshakable faith that our prayers are answered through the intercession of the Blessed Mother. She has been called many names in different regions of the Philippines. Some of them are the following: Nuestra Señora de Caridad to Ilocanos; Our Lady of Manaoag to the people of Pangasinan; Lady of Piat to Cagayanos; Nuestra Señora del Rosario de la Naval or Nuestra Señora de Antipolo to the Tagalogs and many others. Perhaps, one of her most notable names is Our Lady of Peñafrancia, more warmly called INA or Mother, to the Bicolanos. This intense devotion to Mother Mary by the Bicolanos can be traced back in Spain. The Feast of Our Lady of Peñafrancia is a one-week affair that starts on the second Friday of September when the miraculous Ina is transferred

from her shrine to the centuries-old Naga Metropolitan Cathedral. This procession is locally called traslacion where the miraculous images of Our Lady of

Peñafrancia and of the Divino Rostro journey to the  Metropolitan Cathedral of Naga City for a Novena and Holy Masses. This began in 1885 and ushers in the week long festivities in the locality. A nine-day novena and prayers are held in her honor. This event is considered as the biggest and most popular religious event in the Philippines.



10 September 2010

PAMIBI KI NUESTRA SENORA DE PENAFRANCIA


Lilingya man sa sako, O maheherakon na lna,
Virgen de Peñafrancia, an saimong mahamis na mga
mata asin kaheraki man ako na minadolok saimo,
pano nin pagsolsol. Ampona an sakong familia, an
sakong mga pinsan, katood asin parasorog. Tabangi
an saimong mga devotos, si buhay pa asin mga gadan
na orog na idtong maninigo kong tabangan. Sa oras
nin sakong mga pag-alaman, kakundian asin pagtios,
orog na sa sakuyang pagkagadan, antabayi man ako
sa atubang nin Saimong Mahal na Aki. Tanganing
matindogan asin matabangan mo ako, sabihi na ako
devoto mo na dara nin dakulang pagsarig sa saimong
pag-ampon minaluhod sa saimong pamitisan sa
paghagad kan saimong mahalagang pagtabang.
Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia, pamibian, tabangi,
rangaha asin ligtasan man ako. Amen.

Download original 1600x1200 Penafrancia Wallpaper

7 September 2010

HISTORY OF DARAGA


During the 12th century, the second wave of Malay migration to the Philippines stretched to the Bicol Region at the height of the power of the Sri Visayan Empire. The surge of migrants that included mostly traders and settlers ventured to almost all places in Bicol. One group decided to settle on the southern slopes of Mount Mayon. A village was then created and people began living peacefully and harmoniously.

22 July 2010

THE SPIRIT OF MT. BULUSAN: THE LEGEND OF SAN BERNARDINO STRAIT


In Sorsogon, the legend of San Bernardino embodied this turn of events against the land and its inhabitants.The legend spoke about a mighty spirit who dwelt in Mt. Bulusan. He ruled the land and none of the inhabitants dared disobey him. 

5 June 2010

HISTORY 105: MASBATE


Historical accounts show that the Christianization of the Bicol Region actually began in Masbate in 1569:
Father Alonso Jimenez was the first missionary to the islands of Masbate, Burias, Leyte and Samar. Then he went to Ibalon (Bicol) in the province of Camarines, where he resided many years, and made many religious incursions into Albay and Sorsogon. Fray Jimenez is considered the apostle of the island of Masbate

HISTORY 104 - CATANDUANES


The province, formerly known as “Catanduan,” “Catandognan,” and finally, “Catanduanes,” derived its name from the “tando” trees which then abound in the Island. In 1573, Juan de Saceldo explored Catanduanes. Later, on January 6, 1576, Fr. Diego de Herrera with nine Augustinians sailed from Acapulco to the Philippines aboard the galleon, “Espiritu Santo.”

HISTORY 103: CAMARINES NORTE



From 1573 to 1829, Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte formed only one political unit known as Ambos Camarines.

In 1829, they were separated but reunited again in1854. They again separated, to be reunited again in 1893. This union continued until 1919. On March 3, 1919, Camarines Norte was
created by the Philippine Legislature in Act 2809.

When Camarines Norte was separated from Ambos Camarines in 1829, it was assigned to the towns of Daet, as capital, Talisay, Indan (Vinzons), Labo, Paracale, Mambulao (Jose Panganiban), Capalonga, Ragay, Lupi and Sipocot. Seventeen years late, it lost Sipocot, Lupi and Ragay to Camarines Sur in exchange for the town of Siruma.

Juan de Salcedo, dispatched by Legazpi to explore the island in 1571, influence the existence of Camarines Norte. After subduing Taytay and Cainta, he marched further across Laguna and Tayabas.

He visited the rich gold-laden town of Mambulao and Paracale obsessed by them about which he heard from native's there of existing gold mines.

When Francisco de Sande took over from Legazpi as Governor General, Spanish influence started to be felt in the region. He established a permanent spanish garison in Naga to control the region and defend it from Chinese and Muslim pirates. Capt. Pedro de Chavez was assigned to head this force.

There were already native settlements here when the Spaniards arrived. The flourishing town of Mambulao and Paracale were two of them.

Indan and Daet were the other settlements besides Capalonga and others. But Paracale
remained the most sought after and the most prosperous because of its gold mines.
The towns were chiefly inhabited by Tagalogs; the rests were of Visayan strain. However, most of the immigrants were from Mauban Quezon. The Spanish missionaries did not falter in their mission to Christianized the natives.

By virtue of RA Act 2809 of March 3, 1919, General F. B. Harrison separated Camarines Norte from Camariens Sur with Don Miguel R. Lukban as its first governor. At present it has twelve towns: Basud, Capalonga, Daet, Jose Panganiban, Labo, Mercedes, Paracale, San Lorenzo Ruiz, San Vicente, Santa Elena, Talisay and Vinzons. Daet remained as its capital town.

LOCATION

Camarines Norte or Hilagang Kamarines occupies the northwestern portion of the Bikol Peninsula. Along the coastlines, the province faces the Basiad and Lamon Bay on the west, the Pacific Ocean on the north, and the San Miguel Bay on the east. Inland, it is bounded by the Province of Quezon on the southwest and Camarines Sur on the south.

The province's topography is generally rugged. It is composed of rolling hills and mountainous terrain with only a small coastal plain. Its coastal areas are fertile. Situated on these coastal areas are the towns of Vinzons, Jose Panganiban, Paracale, Sta. Elena, Capalonga, Daet, Basud, Talisay and Mercedes

LAND AREA

Camarines Norte has a total land area of 220,012 hectares, or 2,200 square kilometers. This is inclusive of 8,762 hectares of land disputed by the Province of Camarines Norte and Quezon, which was finally awarded to Camarines Norte by the Supreme Court in 1989.

POLITICAL SUBDIVISION

The province is divided into 12 municipalities: Basud, Capalonga, Daet, Jose Panganiban, Labo, Mercedes, Paracale, San Lorenzo Ruiz (formerly Imelda), San Vicente, Sta. Elena, Talisay and Vinzons. The town of Daet is the seat of government and the center of education, commerce, and trade. Other growth centers are Labo, Jose Panganiban, Sta. Elena and Mercedes.

Each municipality is further divided into smaller political units, called barangays. In land size, Labo is the biggest municipality, occupying approximately 23 percent of the total provincial area or 50,360 hectares, and Talisay is the smallest with just 2% or 4,680 hectares. The capital town rank ninth in size.

The province has a population of 470,654 as of May 1, 2000 with a growth rate of 1.50 percent from 1995 to 2000.

LANGUAGE/DIALECT

Major dialects spoken in the province are Tagalog and Bikol Dialect comprising about 63.09% and 35.57% respectively. About 1.34% of the household surveyed speaks other dialects and languages like Cebuano, Ilocano, Chinese, Pangasinan, Ibanag, and others. The greater number of Tagalog-speaking household may be attributed to the fact that Camarines Norte is adjacent to the Southern Tagalog provinces, from where the majority of migrants to Camarines Norte come from.

MAJOR INDUSTRY

Agriculture is the leading and major source of income of the people. Major crops planted are coconut, palay, rootcrops and vegetables.
Pineapple production, on the other hand, made quite a name for Camarines Norte in recent years. Metallic minerals (gold, silver, iron, lead, zinc, bull quartz, iron lump and iron in laterite) and non-metallic minerals (silica sand, kaolin, diatomite, refractory clay and limestone) are found in abundance. Gold production is the signature product of Camarines Norte. The yellowish Paracale gold and the reddish Labo gold extracted by miners and goldpanners from the bowels of earth, helped prop up small and medium scale industries engaged in jewelry production. Other industries found in the province are livestock/poultry and fishery.

TRANSPORTATION

Camarines Norte is accessible via land and sea transport.

Land Transport

Camarines Norte is about six hours drive from Manila through lush forests and picturesque seascapes.

Air Transport

Camarines Norte can also be reached by air through the Pili Airport in Camarines Sur. From the airport you can take a bus or a cab to Daet via Naga City,

Sea Transport

Motorboats, motor launches and non-motorized bancas are usually used in transporting passengers and cargoes from the mainland to the coastal barangays and islands of the province.

COMMUNICATION

Eleven (11) radio stations (3 AM and 8 FM)
High frequency (HF/SSB) and very high frequency (VHF) transceivers
7 Cable television service providers
One local community TV station (STV-6) and one relay TV Station, the ABS-CBN Channel 2.
3 Cellular Mobile telephones (Globe, Smart and Sun).
14 public calling offices in the province with a load capacity/number of channels of 428
Six (6) local newspapers that are operating
Three (3) internet service providers (ISP)
Sixteen (16) postal stations
Seven (7) courier services (LBC, JRS Express, Daily Overland Express, DHL, Aboitiz Express, Camarines Norte Forwarders, and Philparcel).

2 June 2010

HISTORY 102: CAMARINES SUR



Known centuries ago as the "Tierra de Camarines", the province is distinctly Spanish-founded settlement. Its name having been derived from "Camaronchones" or "Camarines", a Spanish word for "Kamalig" referring to small nipa or bamboo-made huts by the natives.

In 1574, Governor General Guido 
de Lavezarez referred Camarines Sur to the King of Spain as Los Camarines, after the abundance of camarins-rice granaries - which were conspicuous features of the area.

Spanish colonizers later subjugated its people and denominated the area into two distinct aggrupations. The southern portion comprising the area south of the present town of Camalig (in Albay), Sorsogon, the islands of Masbate and Catanduanes, and the area, which is now Partido in present day, then called "Partido de Ibalon". The northern, upper portion, which included from the present day Camalig town in Albay, and all towns of Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte, was called "Partido de Camarines".

Partido de Camarines was partitioned into Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte in 1829, and thereafter underwent fusion, annexations and re-partitions until March 19, 1919 when two provinces, jointly called Ambos Camarines, were finally separated with their present boundaries by decree of the First Philippine Legislature.

The Philippine Revolution started in Ambos Camarines when Elias Angeles and Feliz Plazo, Filipino corporals in the Spanish Army, sided with revolutionist and fought the local Spanish forces on September 17, 1898. Governor Vicente Zaidin capitulated to the revolutionist on the following day. With the arrival of General Vicente Lukban, the revolutionary government in the Bikol Region was established.

The American forces occupied the Bikol Peninsula in January 1900. In March of the same year. General John M. Bell was made the military governor of the southeastern Luzon. Civil government was finally established in Ambos Camarines in April 1901.

At the outbreak of World War II. Guerilla units were organized by Wenceslao Q. Vinzons that waged underground operations against the Japanese troops stationed in Camarines Sur. After the capture of Vinzons on July 8, 1942, the guerilla movement was carried on by Lieutenant Francisco Boayes. In April 1945, Camarines Sur was finally liberated from the Japanese invaders.

Naga City, the former capital of Camarines Sur, was founded in 1573 as "Nueva Caceres" "“ namesake of the Province in Spain and among the original five royal cities of the colony. It was designated as the Province"™s Capital by virtue of Philippine Legislative Act No. 2711 approved on March 10, 1917 until June 6, 1955, when Pili, the adjoining town was declared the Provincial Capital by virtue of Republic Act 1336 up to the present time

LOCATION

Located in the central part of the Bikol peninsula, which forms the southeastern part of the island of Luzon; Bounded on the north by the Provinces of Camarines Norte and Quezon, San Miguel Bay and the Pacific Ocean; on the south by the Province of Albay; on the east by Lagonoy Gulf; and on the west by Ragay Gulf.

The largest among the six provinces in Bikol, its total land area is 5,266.82 sq. kms, which is about 30% of the entire region and about 2% of the national land area.

Thirty-five municipalities and two cities classified into four districts compose the province of Camarines Sur. The first district (Railroad Town) consists of eleven municipalities; second district (Central Bay) has eight municipalities and one chartered city; third district (Partido Area) has ten municipalities and the fourth district (Rinconda Area) comprises of six municipalities and one component city.

It is traversed by the long wide and meandering Bikol River and other streams that descend from the southwestern side of Pasacao-San Fernando-Libmanan mountain ranges and northeastern side of Mt. Isarog

Except for some highlands found in some inland towns such as Ocampo, Baao and Iriga, the rest are mountain ranges which bordered the rugged coastlines. They surround the vast fertile plains and arable lowlands except those found in Nato, Sangay, Sabang and San Jose beaches.

Camarines Sur boasts of three beautiful lakes namely: Baao, Bato and Buhi and four mountains sucha as: Isarog, Iriga, Buhi and Tangcong Vaca.

Camarines Sur is in the middle of the Bikol Peninsula jutting out southeasterly from the main island of Luzon. The province is 450 kilometers from Manila at the north and approximately the same diistance from Cebu in the Visayan Islands at the South.

CLIMATE

The western and southern part of the province belong to the fourth type which is characterized by no dry season and no very pronounced maximum rain period. A definite absence of a dry season with a very pronounced maximum period from November to January predominates over the eastern and northern area. Caramoan Peninsula and the regions east of Mt. Isarog and Iriga fall under this climate.

DIALECT

As a province which belongs to the Bikol region, Standard Bikol is the primary dialect being used. There are, however, other speech varieties which are adapted by some people in other areas of the province. These dialectal differences are believed to be derivatives of the standard Bikol dialect. It is always an advantage having to listen to a Bikolano speaking his own dialect as it is claimed to be one which is endowed with beauty and artistic merit. In the premiere province of Camarines Sur, not to be treated with exemptions are two distinct dialects which are the Buhi-non and Partido dialects. Buhi-non has the reputation of being the most unique albeit the most difficult of all the varieties of Bikol. The Partido dialect, on the other hand, is one which is widely used in the towns of Ocampo, Goa, Tigaon and Lagonoy.

POPULATION

The population of the province as of May 2000 census was 1,551,549 accounting for almost 33 percent of the regional population. The province's population grew at an average annual rate of 1.72 percent between 1995 and 2000. Its population density is 283.0 persons per square kilometer of land area.

MAJOR INDUSTRY

Agriculture is the leading industry with rice and coconut as the leading agricultural crops in the province. Abaca and banana are next because of the kind of soil prevalent in the province. Camarines Sur is a province endowed with a variety of natural resources: from verdant forests which provide a wide range of flora and fauna species; hidden deposits of rare and precious minerals to the vast water world which offers a whole lot of water resources. Moreover, the province's abundant natural resources make it an ideal base for broad range of resource-based industries. Its arable land is suited to the growing and production of a wide variety of food and commercial crops. Mining is a growing industry, too. Aside from this, it is also sufficient in fish due to its virtually untapped, rich fishing grounds

MODE OF TRANSPORTATION

Air Transport

The province can be reached by plane within a flying time of 45 minutes. There is the service of the Philippine Airlines at the upgraded Pili Airport. Shown below are the flight schedules going to and from the province.

Philippine Airlines
2/F G7 Holdings Building
Dinaga Street, Naga City

Flight Schedule:
Manila-Naga: Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun
Departure- 7:00 am; Arrival- 7:50 am

Naga-Manila: Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun
Departure- 8:30 am; Arrival- 9:15 am

Rail Transport

Camarines Sur is served by the Philippine National Railways (PNR) which operates rail service from Manila, passing through woodlands of the Southern Luzon, to its destination in Tabuco, Naga City, in a ten-hour trip.

Philippine National Railways
Tabuco, Naga City
Tel. Nos. 73-96-15; 811-15-53

Naga to Metro Manila - Daily:
4:30 P.M. - Bikol Express
7:30 P.M. - Peñafrancia Express

Naga to Ragay Daily:
6:05 A.M.; 9:25 A.M. and 2:00 P.M.
Naga to Libmanan - Daily: 11:30 A.M.

Sea Transport

Boats sail offshore to islands and coastal communities. Cargo ships from Cebu sail directly to Pasacao Port and Nato Port in Sagñay Town.

Land Transport

Aircon and non-aircon buses ply daily through the Quirino Highway from Manila and vice-versa in an 8-hour trip. The Central Business District (CBD) Terminal located at Naga City houses a line of buses and their booking offices.

A TOURS & TRAVEL
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City
Naga to Metro Manila: 7:30 P.M. Daily

AMDG/RTN
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City
Naga to Daet:Every hour from 5:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M.
Naga to Legazpi:Every 30 minutes from 5:00 A.M. to 6:30 P.M.

AMA TRANS
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City
Naga to Metro Manila: 7:30 to 8:30 P.M. Daily

BLTB
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City
Naga to Metro Manila - Daily:6:45, 9:30 and 10:30 A.M.
Continuous trips from: 1:00 to 10:00 P.M.

CUL TRANSIT
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City

GOLDLINE
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City
Naga to Metro Manila: 7:30 P.M. Daily

ISAROG LINE EXPRESS TRANSPORT
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City
Naga to Metro Manila: 7:30 and 8:00 P.M. Daily

PEÑAFRANCIA TOURS
Central Bus Terminal, Naga City
Naga to Metro Manila: 7:00; 7:30 and 8:00 P.M. Daily

PHILTRANCO
Diversion Rd., Naga City
Naga to Metro Manila - Daily
Every 30 minutes from 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.

TRAVEL TIPS

Planning your visit to Camarines Sur would necessarily entail essential information on the province such as how to get here, when to go here, accommodations, transportation, weather and similar other details that would assist you in making your stay in this premiere province of Bikolandia as pleasurable and hassle-free as possible.

To every potential visitor, you can call the Provincial Tourism Office, Promotions and Marketing Section at telephone number 4773172 to inquire on the offered tour packages which you might want to avail of.

Telephones

Telephone Payphones are available everywhere: at drugstores, convenience stores, malls, department stores, gasoline stations, bus terminals. There are also some small grocery store owners who avail of the opportunity in making use of their personal phones for the public charging them P5.00/per minute of call.

In making a long distance call or overseas call, one has to purchase a payphone prepaid card to be able to make such call. The cards are available anywhere. The area code for the entire Camarines Sur is 54.

Banks

Commercial banks are open from Monday to Friday. Banking hours are from 9:00 in the morning until 3:00 in the afternoon. There are however a number which starts banking transactions as early as 8:30 and ends at 5:30 in the afternoon.

Automated Teller Machines or ATMS serve as the easy way to withdraw money from one's account. Every bank has its own ATM located within the bank's premises or inside the bank itself.